New Year’s Cake - Cyprus Vasilopita
The ONLY recipe you will ever need for your ‘Vasilopita’, New Year’s Cake! Don’t forget to hide the lucky coin in the cake!
Preparation Time: 20 ́
Baking Time: 1 hour
For this Vasilopita you will need a round cake tin, 28 cm in diameter, the base of which is lined with greaseproof paper.
400 g butter at room temperature, chopped into pieces
Orange zest from 3 oranges
340 g sugar
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground mastic
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
270 ml milk
540 g all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
Icing sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C, fan assisted
- In the mixer bowl, beat the butter, orange zest and sugar until fluffy. Add the nutmeg, mastic, milk, flour and baking powder and beat for another 2 minutes until the ingredients come together.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking pan. Before baking, add the lucky coin to your New Year’s Cake.
- Bake the cake for 50 minutes to 1 hour.
- Allow to cool, sprinkle with icing sugar and serve.