Tomato Lentils with Carrot & Celery
A traditional and wholesome vegetarian dish for a satisfying lunch
Preparation time: 10'
Cooking time: 45'
Calories per serving: 280 (excluding the bread and olives)
250g dry lentils
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon onion, finely chopped
2 carrots, peeled, sliced
2 celery sticks, sliced
1 teaspoon cumin
1 pinch of dry red chilli flakes
400g canned tomato
1 vegetable stock cube
Salt and pepper
Fresh Thyme and sprigs of fresh bay leaves
- Rinse the lentils with cold water and drain them.
- Place a large pan on high heat. Heat the olive oil and fry the onion for 1 minute.
- Add the carrot and celery to the pot and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the lentils, cumin, chilli flakes, tomato, water, stock, salt, pepper and mix well. Allow the mixture to boil vigorously for 2-3 minutes. Lower the heat to medium, loosely cover the pot with its lid and simmer for 40-45 minutes.
- To serve cut the bread in slices and toast them; serve the lentils in a bowl, add some fresh thyme and fresh bay leaves. Enjoy with the toasted bread and olives.