Lemon Drizzle Christmas Cake
A slightly different take on Christmas Cake. Rich in spices and simply delicious. Ideal for the festive days of December if you’re in the mood to make a Christmas cake with a twist.
Preparation time: 15'
Cooking time: 1 hour
Servings: 12 slices
Calories per serving: 482
For this cake you are going to need our Bundt Pan
For the dry fruits:
150 g raisins
50 g glacé cherries, cut in half
50 g dried apricots, roughly chopped
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
40 g brandy
For the cake
150g butter, chopped
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 large eggs, at room temperature
300 g. brown sugar
360g all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cardamom
1/4 teaspoon mixed spice
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
150 g whole milk
For the lemon frosting:
2 Tablespoons butter, at room temperature
160 g icing sugar
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
3 Tablespoons lemon juice, more if needed
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- First prepare the Bundt Pan. Grease the inside of the pan, taking care to get into all the nooks and dents. Generously dust with sieved cocoa powder.
- To prepare the dry fruits, place all the ingredients in a bowl and let them soak in the brandy for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C.
- In a mixer bowl, beat the butter, sugar, vanilla, flour, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, cardamom, mixed spice, nutmeg, salt, pepper and milk. Beat on a low speed until combined, about 2 minutes. Be careful not to over beat. Finally, fold in the soaked fruits and any brandy left in the bowl with a spatula.
- Transfer the cake mixture to the baking pan and place in the oven. Bake for about 1hour - 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a toothpick placed in the centre comes out clean. Allow to cool for 40 minutes, then turn the cake over onto a serving platter.
- To make the icing, in a medium bowl, mix together the butter, icing sugar, lemon rind, lemon juice and vanilla until they come together.
- Drizzle the icing over the cake, allow the icing to dry and serve!